Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Critical Reflection Draft 2

Peer review system was emphasised and implemented throughout the semester, which assigned us to give as well as receive feedback to and from our classmates. This module was conducted effectively by Mr. Brad through many interesting and interacting methods, such us group discussion, group presentation, blogging, peer review, pair work, etc.

I find this teaching method very beneficial for me in improving my critical thinking and English language, as we were given a chance to read and think critically regarding to others’ viewpoints, based on the same topic, meanwhile providing useful and constructive feedback to them. Besides that, we were required to check their grammar mistakes by reading the essay carefully, which allows me to understand and avoid the same mistake in the future.


Previously, I did not understand and recognise the objectives of carrying out the peer review system, as it is quite time-consuming and seems to be ineffective. However, after receiving peers’ feedback about my reader response and problem-solving essay, I began to see the importance of it. I realised from the feedback that how other people perceive my essay, and what I should change so as to make my essays flow in a more logical and structured manner.  Additionally, Mr. Brad provided many evaluation criteria that guide us to effectively analyse other people’s work and give constructive feedback. This exercise has largely enhanced my evaluating and analysing skills.

However, on the other hand, there might be some limitations in this system, as everyone has different opinions and thoughts, one’s idea might not be understood or agreed upon by others. Modifying our essays by totally relying on the peer’s feedback could sometimes be misleading and ineffective, since we ourselves, also have limitations in writing a professional academic essay. Therefore, I hope I can obtain more formal feedback and suggestions from my English tutor, and it will be more effective in improving my writing.


Overall, through this English learning journey, I have learnt a lot regarding to language use, academic essay writing, and analysing skills.  All of these skills I obtained can be effectively applied to the written reports and other academic essays. In the future, whether it is academic report or program proposal, I will proactively ask for peers’ and mentors’ feedback, as this actually does help me to improve and progress in my work.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Xinzhu, for this comprehensive and well focused reflection. You explain how peer feedback was implemented within the ES1102 course, and then in detail you explain what the process entailed and how that benefitted you. You also explain how this could be problematic: "Modifying our essays by totally relying on the peer’s feedback could sometimes be misleading and ineffective, since we ourselves, also have limitations in writing a professional academic essay."

    This is indeed true, and for that reason, I feel strongly that peer feedback must be complimented by tutor feedback. In fact, as you know, I gave you feedback in various drafts of the key essay assignments. For that reason, I don't understand this statement: "I hope I can obtain more formal feedback and suggestions from my English tutor, and it will be more effective in improving my writing." Do you mean to say that you "like to obtain formal feedback and suggestions from your tutor"?

    In any case, I appreciate your great effort throughout his term, Xinzhu. All the best as you continue your learning journey!

    ReplyDelete